Friday, April 25, 2008

adaptability.

Here is a response to my last blog. For starters, in KYC leadership we took a strengths test. One of my greatest strengths was adaptability. I already knew that, and if you know me, you did too. This is the problem, as a Christ follower, I am not here to adapt. Sure, it can help, I can relate to people that others can't. I can feel comfortable in most situations. But at the same time, I need to stand apart. Though I'm sure that I'm everything normal, I tend to feel the need to adapt, go with the flow. The problem is, my adapting stands out. So here I am, put into a lot of different situations, adapting to all of them. By my personality strengths/traits I'm naturally going to do that. So I've figured out the problem.......what about the solution.? If I'm at a construction site, I relate to them, and adapt. I think like they do, not 100%, but enough. I might even act like they do, and say things that they would say. If I'm at the moto X races....the same thing. I've been in the same situations that all of these people have been in. I've felt the same way. Instead of relating but standing out....I fall right back to where I was. I please people...that's what I'm doing. I don't think that the answer is to get away from these situations....God gave me my strengths. I need to use them to Glorify Him, not people. The beauty of all of this is I do have wonderful Christian friends that I can adapt to.....but that's not really the answer either. I need to be adapting to Jesus. This is the worst/best realizations of my life. Super frustrating. but relieving. Plz comment back. I need help

1 comment:

Pastor Justin said...

The apostle Paul said, "If I were still trying to please people, I could not be a servant of God."

I don't know if "adaptability" is a god given strength.

I do believe that empathy is. I think that God has given you the ability to know what people are feeling/thinking and actually almost feel it with them.

This isn't just so you can fit it with them. This is so you can be moved by compassion and help them out.

Another problem with adaptability is that no one really knows who you are, and you might not even really know who you are. What is the real color of a chameleon?

When a person runs around changing colors to fit it with every group he runs into he just might forget what he really looks like.

Jesus was the same person, 24 hrs a day.

It is good to be able to relate to many different people, but it is not good to act like them.

Paul said this, "I have become all things to all men so that by all means, I might save some."

So why are you adapting? Is it for Christ or for you?